After grueling preparation for engineering entrance exams, we finally secure a seat at a reasonably good engineering college, where we have to stay for at least four years to be able to get our coveted B.Tech degree. Here, we have dug our ex-Titians to find out which of the IITs, NITs and top engineering colleges in India offer best hostels:
IIT Guwahati, ranked among Top 100 Dynamic Young Universities of the World by Times Higher Education (THE) ranking, is situated on the northern banks of River Brahmaputra with hills and vast open spaces all around its 700-acre campus.
Its top-notch campus has well-planned green spaces and lanes. Students frequently use bicycles and other vehicles inside the campus.
- A fully-residential campus, the hostels are named after rivers and tributaries of North-east India.
- There are eight men’s hostels and a girls’ hostel too. There is a separate hostel for married postgraduate scholars.
- Each student is provided a single room with local network and high-speed Internet facility in each room.
Each hostel has its own dining mess, where breakfast, lunch and dinner is served for students. There is a round-the-clock canteen in the campus too.
Each IITG hostel has its own TV room, phone book and a snacks shop. There is a 72-room Guest House for visitors, an on-campus hospital with 30 beds, a commercial complex, a Conference Centre with 4 halls, two community halls and a food court which is near completion.
The Gymkhana organizes cultural festival called Alcheringa and a techno-management fest called Techniche every year as well as various sports activities.
Indoor sports facilities, flood-lit sports field for outdoor games, and an 8-lane 50m long swimming pool are all world-class.
Since IIT Indore does not have a permanent campus of its own, students are offered accommodation in quite a luxurious residential township of Silver Springs on AB Bypass Road, Indore.
- The residential complex is hailed as one world-class hostel facilities with spacious and large rooms, mountain views and clean and safe surrounding area. In every room, an RO system is installed for students and housekeeping cleans the rooms every day.
- Around 600 students live here. IIT Indore runs buses at regular intervals between the institute and the township.Parents and visitors can stay in the Guest House with prior booking.
Dining halls are spacious, well-maintained and hygienic. There are separate dining halls for veg and non-veg food where students are served four meals a day – breakfast, lunch, evening snacks and dinner. Televisions are installed in the common are and mess menu is updated on a regular basis on students’ demand.
- IIT Indore hostel is wi-fi enabled, has gymnasium and other recreational facilities.
- Sport facilities for football, basketball, volleyball, cricket and table tennis are available.
- Selected students are sent to Sports Academy for advanced coaching in table tennis, badminton and swimming.
NIT Warangal is one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India and is considered to be at par with the IITs. It has 22 hostel blocks – 20 for men and two for women but the most talked about are Ultra Mega Hall that accommodates 1,800 students at a time, and Mega Hall that accommodates more than 1,000 students.
- Ultra Mega Hall, also referred to as 1.8K hostel for its capacity, is a luxury hostel in India with 10 storeys. It has single and double-seater rooms. Mega Hall or 1K Hall of Residence has only single rooms.
- All the hostel rooms have internet facility and most of them are wi-fi enabled.
- Men’s hostels have five messes in all – three of them serve non-vegetarian meals and two serve vegetarian meals. There is a separate mess for girl students which serves both veg and non-veg food. Messes operate on no-profit-no-loss basis and student representatives along with a mess warden supervise their operation.
- Mess has excellent furniture, music system and purified chilled water available.
- To maintain the hygiene, food clean and cutting processes are mechanized and kitchen is equipped with steam-cooking facility.
- Men’s 1K and 1.8K hostels have a Food Court too.
- Inside NITW campus, there is a shopping centre that caters to the daily needs of students. Laundry shop, hair cutting saloon and xerox shop remain open from 9 am to 8 pm.
- Eateries around the campus include several popular coffee shops.
- Sports pavilion, guest house and Centre for Innovation and Incubation for startups are available.
BIT Mesra was the first to have an academic department related to Space Engineering & Rocketry in 1964, introduce the concept of Small Industries Entrepreneur’s Park, facilitate project funding and workshop facilities for young entrepreneurs and own a Super Computer.
Lush greenery of its 780-acre campus looks breathtaking during rainy season. It has excellent hostel facilities, hangout zones and a self-contained campus.
- Fully-residential BIT Mesra campus has eleven hostels for boys and three for girls. The student lodging houses are spacious with lot of scenic greenery around it.
- Male students receive single well-furnished rooms while girls’ share spacious rooms too. All the rooms open up to a wide veranda meant for common use.
Each hostel has an independent student-run mess.
- Hostels have dining halls, indoor-game facilities, a reading room that subscribes to a number of magazines, newspapers and periodicals, and an entertainment hall equipped with a TV.
- There are two auditoriums, gymnasium, indoor and outdoor game facilities, and two full-fledged canteens in the campus. There are three guest houses and a shopping complex too.
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT) has a beautiful 650 acre campus situated in the heart of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh on a beautiful plateau. NIT Bhopal offers excellent fooding and loging facilities with round-the-clock security. The campus houses about 4,000 students and faculty members.
- NIT Bhopal has 9 hostels in all – six for men, one for women, and two under construction. NRI hostels are basically duplex houses near a water stream within the campus.
- Girls’ hostel has only double-seater and triple-seater rooms. Single rooms are not available for girls.
- With one lake and two dams just beyond hostel boundaries, the views hostel rooms of NIT Bhopal offer are simply outstanding.
- Some of these hostels are about a kilometre away from the campus and many students use bicycles as their conveyance.
Each hostel at NIT Bhopal has its own kitchen, dining room and common room block. These independent messes are run on a co-operative basis by students.
- MANIT has on-campus computer center, workshops, athletic ground, sports complex, gym and Energy Center. There are state-of-the-art gymnastics and billiards facilities too.
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Auditorium, formerly known as the Student Activity Centre, has a capacity of seating 800 people at once. It is fully air-conditioned and has high-tech sound system. It has seen performances of many renowned artists. The open-air auditorium is frequently used for cultural functions.